Campervan and car rental service in Japan

Safety drive

Please try to be a safe driver and strictly obey traffic laws.

1 . Driving rule in Japan

Cars drive on the left side of the road and have the driver's seat and steering wheel on their right side. The typical speed limits are 80 to 100 km/h on expressways, 40 km/h in urban areas, 30 km/h in side streets and 50 to 60 km/h elsewhere; however, drivers tend to go a little over the posted speed limits.

Most road signs are bilingual in English and Japanese.
Road signs and rules follow most international standards.

Wearing seat belt on all seats in the car is made an obligation by the Road Traffic Law. Please wear the seat belt even to a general road while driving.

You need to stop passing a railway crossing ,even baricade is open.

Japanese drivers generally tend to be well mannered and considerate.

2 . Driver's license

Foreigners can drive in Japan with an International Driving Permit (IDP) for a maximum of one year, even if the IDP is valid for a longer period. It is not possible to drive on an International Driving Permit again unless you return to your home country for at least three consecutive months in between.

International driving permits are not issued in Japan and should be obtained in your home country in advance. They are usually issued through your country's national automobile association for a small fee. Japan only recognizes international driving permits based on the 1949 Geneva Convention, which are issued by a large number of countries.

Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Taiwan do not issue permits based on the 1949 Geneva Convention, but instead have a separate agreement that allows drivers from these countries to drive in Japan for up to one year with an official Japanese translation of their driver's license. A translation can be obtained from the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) or some of the respective countries' embassies or consulates in Japan.

People from other countries whose international driving permits are not recognized by Japan and people who stay in Japan for more than one year, must obtain a Japanese driver's license.

Japan has bilateral agreements with more than twenty countries, including Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, to ease the process of acquiring a Japanese license. If you hold a valid driver's license from one of these countries you can get a Japanese license without taking a written or practical exam.

Instead, go to your local license center with an official translation of your license (obtainable from the Japan Automobile Federation), your passport, and proof that you held your license for at least three months in the issuing country before coming to Japan. Then, take a basic eye and physical test and you will be issued a new license on the same day.

If you have a driver's license from a country which does not have an agreement with Japan, such as the United States, China or Brazil, you will have to take a written and practical exam in order to obtain a Japanese driver's license. This process typically takes several attempts, even for experienced drivers.

3 . Alcohol

If you would be arrested because of driving under the influence of alcohol, you must pay about 1,000,000yen for a fine.
All passengers also pay 300,000yen for a fine in Japan if the driver is drunk.
In the case of an accident under the influence of alcohol, there is no insurance coverage.

4 . The scene of an accident

When a traffic accident occurs,all accidents must be reported to the police.if you don't do this, the insurance will not pay.
Contact the police station(call 110) and contact us asap.
We will give you more information when you hire our campervan.

5 . Road assistance

We are members of road assistance.You could get a road assistance for 24hours.

If you have any other question feel free to ask us.